Schedule your FREE In-Home or On-Site Estimate! Please fill-out the form below and we will contact you shortly to schedule at the soonest convenience. (FREE offer applies to commercial and residential customers. We never sell, share or use your information in any other way, other than to schedule an appointment at your request.)
If you are military, first and foremost, thank you for your service. We would not have our freedom without you and for your sacrifices we are proud to offer you a discount on your project. If you are 60 years old or older, we thank you for your hard work in supporting our economy all of these years and would like to offer you a discount on your next project as well.
A penny saved is pretty important to all of us these days. We want to do the right thing and pass along our savings to you…so we offer discounts to Home Owner Association members when we can schedule multiple garage door replacement jobs. Call us and let’s talk details!
Click here to contact us!
We believe that the more you know, the better you’ll feel about the work we do for you. So feel free to browse these articles and learn about the best choice you can make for a safe, efficient and good-looking garage door that will enhance the
value of your home. Now more than ever, you’ll find that garage doors are an easy and affordable way to increase the value and curb appeal of your home. A good garage door will stand out from the rest of the neighborhood. If you are able to upgrade to a custom door, your home will stand alone from the crowd.
Tips on How to Select the Right Door for Your Home:
Type: The most common garage doors are “sectional” because they open and shut vertically, allowing cars to park very close to the door without keeping it from opening. You’ll hear terms such as “upward acting”, and “self storing”. This means that the door rolls up and away on a track when you open it and slides down the track to close. This kind of door is the standard overhead garage door that most of us have. It’s easy to use and comes with a number of safety features for homeowners.
Materials: When you’re planning to install a garage door, you must consider door type and materials. You can also incorporate into your plan such things as heated garages or unique window options. Doors are generally made out of three materials: wood, steel and fiberglass.
Wood garage doors are often preferred for their appearance and affordability rather than for their durability. You can select wood types like solid cedar for a durable garage door, which will last for years and look wonderful. The main disadvantage to a wooden garagedoor is that wood expands and contracts and can warp or crack as it weathers. It demands repainting or refinishing every couple of years to keep it looking good and in top condition.
Steel garage doors won’t warp, crack, or fall apart because of weather. They often look a lot like wooden doors, with graining and wood door designs. Steel doors are a low maintenance because they don’t warp or crack, but still have good curb appeal for your home. Most steel garage doors are made of hot-dipped galvanized steel that is vinyl clad or given a baked on polyester finish. They will not rust or require repainting like wooden doors. The only downside to steel doors is the possibility that they will dent, which can be difficult to repair. A premium door is often 2 inches thick, filled with insulation, and clad in 24-gauge steel. Less-expensive doors are usually thinner and made of 28 gauge steel. So steel costs less and it needs much less maintenance than wood, but can look very much like wood.
Fiberglass garage doors, sometimes called GRP, garage doors are often installed where light is important or in salty ocean climates. GRP garage doors only need a mild cleaning to retain their quality finish. They generally they do not need to be stained or finished. The most popular style for a GRP garage door is the retractable garage door. Fiberglass is a tough and durable material which will keep looking good for years.
Any new garage door you select should increase the curb appeal and the value of your home, and improve the security and energy benefits as well. Whether you select steel for its sturdiness and great value, wood for its look and insulation, or fiberglass for its low maintenance, you’ll benefit from a professional installation and servicing to keep your door working efficiently for you for years to come.
Why worry about your garage door? Well, it provides a lot of important benefits to you and to the value of your home. Your car will be protected from the weather, which can lengthen the life of your car and keep it clean. It will protect the items you store in your garage and keep them safe from the weather and from intruders.
If you need to have your garage door repaired, you will want to make sure to contact a trained professional. Garage door installers and repairmen are a specialty trade. This means you should receive quality services and the best quality parts for the price you pay. Garage doors are not all the same and are not produced on as massive a scale as other common household items. So it’s important to hire someone who is familiar with your door and can find the right parts for service.
Like most things, the best way to prevent the expense of repair is proper maintenance. Proper maintenance will ensure that your door functions properly for many years. There are a few simple things you can do to ensure that your garagedoor repair functions properly for many years to come. Here are a few tips from Jackson’s Garage Door Services:
- Just like the smoke alarm in your home, keeping fresh batteries in your electronic remote will ensure that you are never stuck out in the cold with no way to get into the garage.
- Keeping the gears, pulleys and track well lubricated is important, so ask your garage repair professional to help you with annual maintenance. By keeping garage door parts lubricated, you allow them to move easier which creates less strain on the motor.
- Checking the weather stripping periodically will also help keep the door functioning properly. The weather strip prevents cold air from entering the garage in the winter and hot air in the summer. This is essential to helping with your electric bills.
You’ll save money on costly repairs, reduce your energy bills and keep your valuables safe by contracting with a trained professional… and a little maintenance will keep you from being left out in the cold!
Residential Garage Door Openers
Here’s a little education on garage door openers. They’ve definitely made life a bit easier and warmer. When purchasing the opener for your needs you typically have a choice of three basic types. Most overhead opener systems operate on a screw drive, belt drive or a chain drive.
- Chain Drive: A chain drive garage door opener is the noisiest of the three. However, it is also the least expensive and has enjoyed being the most popular as well. One of the really handy features of this opener is that it can be purchased to disuade your fears if you are worried about security. It changes the code every time you use the garage door opener which lessens the chance that someone else can use their remote to open your door and makes your garage more secure. It is also available with a console that can be mounted on the wall to control the lights and the door.
- Belt Drive: Belt drive openers are a lot smoother operating than screw or chain drive. In addition, belt drive openers can come with a battery backup, so even during power failures, your door will still work smoothly. This is an added bit of security for your garage. Most brands of belt drive doors come with a lifetime warranty and are handy for the do-it-yourself inclined. They are a bit pricier than the chain driven garage door openers and may require an extension kit if your doors are taller than seven feet.
- Screw Drive: Screw drive garage door openers are often preferred by those who live in cold climates. When it comes to noise levels, this type is in between. It is not as noisy as the chain drive but a bit noisier than the belt driven opener. Most use polymer-coated rails as a way of avoiding the metal to metal contact, which seems to workwell. Using a screw drive which has been formed from one piece of solid steel allows the opener to last longer. With the screw drive opener the mechanism has room for very little free movement and the doors open quite smoothly. The majority of screw drive openers have direct drive power and since they have only a limited number of moving parts they are quiet openers. As with other types they come with the remote and a keyless pad which can be installed if you choose.
The key to getting the right garage door opener for you is to ask a trained garage door professional to help you select one that works with your garage door and addresses your safety, security, accessibility and value concerns.